Sunday 9 August 2015

Project Skinny Girl

I recently had a pretty scary trip to the hospital which started my project skinny girl journey all over again. As this is the start of the journey I thought I'd share my story, as I'm sure this will feature heavily in my blog posts over the next year. 

My story
I've been having bad ankle problems in both feet for 12 years  (it all started after I tried to cheat in a maze while on holiday in Melbourne.. It's a long story..) . I've struggled throughout this time to get any doctors to look further into each injury. Everytime I send up in A&E I'm told it's a bad twist or strain and then nothing gets looked into any further. After a bad incident last September I 'sprained' my ankle badly enough for the doctors to stand up and take notice. As a precautionary measure the hospital sent me for an MRI scan and a follow up appointment with an orthopaedic consultant.  At my follow up appointment they finally confirmed that I need reconstructive surgery on ligaments in both my feet because there was so much ligament damage. We talked through the procedure and started to put a plan together but they then dropped the bombshell that they couldn't do it yet because I wouldn't survive the anaesthetic because of my weight. As I'm sure you can imagine this was pretty scary stuff and after more discussion we decided I needed to reduce my BMI by half, and meaning I needed to lose about 10 stone before they would put me on the waiting list for the op. This was when I knew I needed to take some pretty serious action and #projectskinnygirl was reborn! 

Getting started
After some research into how I was going to reach my mammoth goal, I turned to my friend Carrie for inspiration. Carrie had been writing a blog about her incredible story on her path to pregnancy. She had turned to clean eating as a way to do this and coincidentally a few days after I'd started on my journey she announced the amazing news that her hard work has paid off and she was finally expecting a bubba! I couldn't believe what a difference clean eating had made to her life and started researching how this approach could help me. After lots and lots of reading I found that ultimately clean eating was about reducing the amount of chemicals, salt and unhealthy sugars and fats you put in your body. By using the simple rules that you shouldn't eat anything with more than 5 ingredients and you shouldn't eat anything that includes something you can't pronounce, I was intrigued at how easy this sounded.  I was amazed at how many incredible recipes there were out there specifically for clean eating and the success stories got me truly inspired. I started a Pinterest board to collect recipes and found that when I started talking to my friends, a lot of people had success stories to tell too. My hubby and I also went out and bought ourselves bikes. I promised myself I would cycle to work everyday and we got hooked on the buzz of getting out into our beautiful home town to explore. Roxie and Roman (our beautiful new bikes) had a way of getting us fit and took us around to places we could only visit in a car. All this plus we could spend some quality time together and I could get the hubby to escape his playstation obsessed lifestyle. 

So I'm now officially on my journey. Here are my start pictures. 


This is me two weeks in:




Wish me luck!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment